Please say hi to Linda O’Connor! She’s back to visit us and share some inspiration!
I’m often asked about what inspires me to write. I thought I’d share 5 sources of inspiration for my stories:
1. The reaction from people when they find out I’m a doctor – It makes me chuckle when people are surprised that I’m a family doctor, and it’s very interesting to see how their attitude changes. Flattering, but honestly, I think there’s more heart and soul (and worry) that goes into being a stay-at-home mom. The fact that my character is “secretly” a doctor has shown up in a couple of the Perfectly stories.
2. Helping out in an emergency – I’ve attended the delivery a baby, washed sand out of a child’s eyes at the beach, and provided care on an airplane. Medicine is rarely nine to five, and my characters are jumping in to help out whenever they’re needed.
3. How I want to weave medicine into my stories – There’s something medical thrown into every story. It may be subtle information like the fact that an eye infection, conjunctivitis, and pink eye are all the same thing or acknowledging how difficult a pregnancy can be, but one of my goals is to empower readers to learn something – and laugh along the way!
4. Snippets of conversation I hear – In the grocery store one day, two teenagers were stocking the shelves and talking about the differences in their friends. I overheard one say, “We’re all different . . . not by much, just enough.” I’ve used that philosophy, if not that line, in my stories. 😀
5. Articles I read in the newspaper or something I hear on the radio – A feature about a pilot, who had a plane adapted so he could continue to fly after becoming paraplegic in a motor vehicle accident, became the inspiration for a short story. I also get ideas for names and quirky hobbies from the news.
Inspiration is all around – in things I hear, see, and do, and my imagination does the rest!
You never know where your words will take you . . .
When Mikaela Finn agreed to be Sam’s ‘fiancée’ for a weekend, she probably should have told him that she’s a doctor. Sam O’Brien, aka ‘Dr. Eye Candy’, is trying to shed his playboy reputation and convince a small town hospital that he’s ready to settle down. But when his ‘fiancée’ helps deliver a baby in the middle of the meet and greet, it’s a bit of a shock. If he’d known the whole truth, he might have done things a little differently because somehow his ‘fiancée’ ends up stealing his job and his heart. Not exactly the change he wanted. Lies and deceit – it’s a match made in heaven!
Linda O’Connor started writing a few years ago when she needed a creative outlet other than subtly rearranging the displays at the local home décor store. It turns out she loves writing romantic comedies and has a few more stories to tell. When not writing, she’s a physician at an Urgent Care Clinic (well, even when she is writing she’s a physician, and it shows up in her stories 😀 ). She hangs out at www.lindaoconnor.net.
Laugh every day. Love every minute.
Linda loves to connect with readers ~
Amazon Author Page: http://www.amazon.com/Linda-OConnor/e/B00S7CNLEA